Who We Are
International Volunteers for Peace (IVP) is the Australian branch for Service Civil International (SCI), one of the world’s largest Global Volunteering Networks with Branches in 44 countries and 106 Partners and Contacts in Africa, Asia, Europe and the Americas. More than 5000 volunteers participate in hundreds of volunteer projects each year.
In 1987, SCI received the title of “Messenger of peace” from the General Secretary of the United Nations in recognition of SCI’s efforts to promote peace and international understanding and for activities developed during the International year of Peace in 1985.
IVP is a non-profit local community group. it focuses on organising volunteering opportunities around worthwhile community needs and causes, for which it recruits participants from Australia and all across the world through its global network.
IVP activities are aimed at encouraging understanding among peoples and promoting discussion and an appreciation of the problems that different communities face in their struggles for social justice and environmental harmony.
IVP is part of one of the world’s largest Global Volunteering Network
Community Needs & Causes
Organising volunteering opportunities around worthwhile community needs and causes,
Social Justice & Environmental Harmony.
IVP activities are aimed at encouraging understanding among peoples and promoting discussion.
In Australia we have:
- Participated in a creek habitat restoration and environmental workshops with primary school children at Taralga.
- Helped with school maintenance and classroom assistance at an Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander School in Townsville
- Organising a Community Arts Festival at CERES, Melbourne
- Assisted athletes with disabilities at the Annual Narabeen Push and Power games
- Undertaken conservation work to protect Australia’s endangered wildlife
- Held a holiday camp for people with disabilities and their carers at Breakaway, Central Coast
We also send out volunteers abroad each year to work on a diverse range of projects in Europe, the Americas, Asia and Africa. Projects such as:
- School Reconstruction work after the earthquake in Nepal
- Support Children with disability in Vietnam
- Saving Sea Turtles in Mexico
- Helping a Children’s Learning Centre in Kenya
- Participating in camp organising activities for children in Poland
If you are an Australian or are living in Australia, please apply for membership and voluntary projects through us via this website.
If you are not an Australian citizen or resident, please see the SCI contact list – Service Civil International (SCI) – for a contact in your own country or region.
IVP offer a huge database of volunteer opportunities for you to view. From volunteer workshops overseas to projects here in Australia, if your looking to help, there’s a project for you.
Volunteering is a great way to broaden your outlook on the world, whether you do it in your home country or overseas. There are lots of ways in which you can give your time, energy and skills.
What We Do
International Volunteers for Peace (IVP) organises volunteer projects in communities across the globe. We recruit participants from Australia and other countries through our global network.