Under the Privacy Act 1988 (as amended) International Volunteers for Peace (IVP) is obliged to comply with Australia Privacy Principles (APP’s). The following policy statement provides an overview of how we are meeting these privacy compliance obligations.
Protecting your privacy is important to International Volunteers for Peace. Whenever we collect and otherwise deal with your personal information, we are governed by the Australia Privacy Principles (APPs) which are contained in the Privacy Act 1988. Therefore, whenever collecting and dealing with information such as your name, address, email address or phone number and any other information, we will be bound by the APPs. Whenever we collect personal information from you, we will make every reasonable attempt to inform you of why we are collecting your information, to whom we will disclose that information and the purposes for which we intend to use that information. In general, the purposes for which we collect your personal information include to:
- process an application to become a participant in our program;
- facilitate your placement in an appropriate position;
- liaise with overseas employers and government departments to facilitate your placement;
- assist you with services whilst you are placed in our program;
- provide feedback and follow up on your placement;
- obtain feedback from you about your experiences;
- process a donation, sponsorship or other financial support;
- process your membership to our website;
- allow us to review and improve our program; and/or
- keep you informed of IVP developments and future placement opportunities.
To ensure that these purposes are fulfilled, the information will be stored, processed and handled in a manner that complies with the APPs. To place you in our program, it will be necessary, where relevant, to pass on some of the information that you provide to appropriate third parties such as overseas government departments, Australian indigenous or overseas employers, health service providers, our insurer and auditors.
At all times, we will take great care to ensure that your personal information is protected and treated confidentially and in accordance with the Privacy Act. If you believe that we have not dealt with your personal information in a manner that complies with the Privacy Act or if you wish to access personal information that we hold about you, please write to or email the Privacy Compliance Officer at the following address:
Privacy Compliance Officer
International Volunteers for Peace
103A Goldsmith St Goulburn NSW 2580